Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Andorra

    May 6, 2022 in Andorra ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    A small country in the Pyrenees Mountains between Spain and France. The Principality of Andorra (as it is officially known) traces its history to Charlemagne, but the nation as it exists dates to 1278.
    The oldest archaeological evidence here dates to the 10th millennium BCE. Like most of this part of Europe, the Romans were here, beginning in the 2nd century BCE.
    I only had a day here. So I spent it in the capital city of Andorra La Vella.
    The 1st picture looks over the city from a high point on a trail that unfortunate ended due to a washout. Otherwise I would have gotten farther up. The 2nd picture is another view over part of the town.
    The 3rd looks up the River Valira from below downtown. Both pictures give a sense of the beauty of the Pyrenees.
    The 4th picture is an interesting bridge in the center of town.
    The 5th picture is in St. Esteve church that dates to the 12th century. Not much of the ancient church remains, but this chapel is the oldest.
    Andorra la Valle is known as a city full of interesting and unusual statues. The 6th picture is one example. The 7th picture is an interesting foot bridge that I decided to call the whale bone bridge. As far as I know, it is otherwise unnamed.
    Much old and new exists here, often side by side. The 8th picture is a typical street in the old town while the 9th picture is the main pedestrian shopping street in the modern city.
    The 10th picture is part of central park. Ok. Not in NYC. After all, Andorra la Vella is a lot smaller, and so is the park. This park is geared to families with a large playground just visible in the background.
    Read more