Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 17

    Cathedral of Salamanca

    10 de maio de 2022, Espanha ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The Cathedral, or more accurately, Cathedrals of Salamanca is an unusual, perhaps unique, situation. There are 2 cathedrals here that are joined together by a common wall. It seems that when a decision was reached to build a new cathedral, they decided to use part of the old cathedral to save some money. As a result, the old cathedral wasn't destroyed to make way for the new one. BTW, this being Europe, the "new" cathedral dates to the 16th century and the old to the 12th.
    The 1st 2 pictures are in the sanctuary of the new cathedral that was built in the Gothic Style 1st is the nave and 2nd is a closer detail the choir which is in the middle of the building. Note the book of music on the stand. This has the old notation for Gregorian chant.
    The 3rd picture is an example of the side chapels around the cathedral. The 4th is the cloister.
    The rest of the pictures are in the old cathedral. The 5th picture is the nave. Notice the extensive artwork above the main altar. The 6th and 7th pictures capture some of the remaining frescos. The 6th picture is at the back of the nave, and the 7th is a transept to the right of the altar.
    The 8th and 9th pictures are in the museum. These are 2 of the altar pieces preserved here. It is my understanding that all of these are from various chapels in the cathedral complex.
    The last picture is the final chapel at the cathedral that has been modernized. It's interesting history includes being the place where potential graduates from the university had their final oral examination by any number of faculty who could ask anything. I'm told the exam could last 6 hours, and failure resulted in deep shame, sometimes even being expelled from the family for the shame, and even suicide. Passing required the graduate to provide a party for everyone. This was a really big deal.
    Leia mais