Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Coimbra

    May 17, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Coimbra is a former national capital city that is home to the oldest university in the Portuguese speaking world. Most of its economy is built around the university and its students.
    The town dates to at least the Roman period when it was known as Aeminium. It is a hill town that was encircled by defensive walls, most of which are now gone. The university occupies the hilltop today.
    Starting in the lower part of town and beginning uphill, the 1st and 2nd picture are of old city gates, and the 3rd picture is one of the old towers along the wall. It has been used as housing, mostly for students. The 4th picture is the old cathedral, and the 5th picture is the new cathedral.
    Finally at the top of the hill is where most of the university is located. The 6th picture is the old palace, originally Moorish, then the royal residence after the city was reconquered, and now part of the university. The 7th picture is the new of the academic buildings built in the fascist style during the dictatorship period. Historic buildings were demolished to make room for the new.
    The 8th picture is the old baroque library, said to be one of the most beautiful anywhere. The 9th picture is of what are called the monumental stairs. This is another part of the construction of the dictatorship period.
    The last picture is of the university botanical garden. The garden dates to the 18th century and is still used for teaching and research.
    Read more