Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Quinta de Regaleira

    May 22, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The term quinta often refers to a farm, but more accurately, it refers to an estate or rural property with an historic building such as a palace. That is what Quinta de Regaleira is.
    While the quinta has a longer history, what is here now dates to the very early 20th century. Carvalho Monteiro set out to build a place intended to befuddle visitors. His interest in the esoteric, from alchemy to Masonry, the Rosicrucians and more that is incorporated throughout does accomplish his goal.
    The 1st picture is the wildly decorative palace with its turrets, gargoyles and more. Most of the palace interior isn't open to visitors, but the 2nd picture is a sample of what is open. The 3rd picture looks over some of the extensive gardens on site. This was taken from a balcony at the palace.
    The 2nd building of significance is the chapel. It's style matches the palace. The interior could not be entered, but the door was open to look inside. That's the 4th picture. Notice all the symbols, including the all seeing eye in the ceiling.
    The 5th picture is the Regalería Tower that sits above Leda's Grotto. The site is laced with grottos, caves and tunnels. The ,6th picture is one of the grottoes. The 7th picture, if I recall correctly, is called the Guardians Entrance.
    Perhaps the best known feature here is the Initiation well. It has a 27 meter deep spiral staircase that descends 9 levels (as in Dante's Inferno) and connects to an email interconnected series of tunnels. I'm told the initiation was to be send initiates in blindfolded from the top of the stairs, and they had to find their way out. The 8th picture looks down the spiral stairs into the well. The 9th picture looks along one of the tunnels. And the 10th picture is a false exit. It's one of the tricks. I would fall for it and head for the sound of falling water.
    This is one intriguing place.
    Read more