Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Bale Mountains National Park

    November 8, 2022 in Ethiopia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Bale Mountains National Park (BMNP) lies in the southern Highlands of Ethiopia. The park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for it's scenery, environment and as a water catchment area supplying water to millions in this part of Africa.
    The park has 5 zones based on ecotypes. Three are looked at in this posts. The other 2 will each have their own. Listed in order of increasing elevation, these 3 are: northern grasslands, northern woodlands and Erica moorlands.
    The 1st 2 pictures are in the grasslands. 1st is a couple of warthogs. In the 2nd you might be able to see a couple mountain nyalas looking back. These also show the grassland environment.
    The next 6 pictures are in the northern woodlands. Pictures 3 & 4 show what this area looks like. It is beautiful to walk through. Pictures 5 & 6 are mountain nyalas. The 7th picture is a bohor reedbuck. The 8th picture is another antelope species, but I don't recall the name.
    The last 2 pictures are of the Erica moorland. One at the same level and one from above on the Sanetti plateau (see another post). The area is the transition zone above the treeline to the plateau. It is named for the species erica arborea of the heath family that grows here.
    Read more