Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Sanetti Plateau

    November 9, 2022 in Ethiopia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    The Sanetti plateau is the 4th ecotype zone at Bale Mountains National Park (see another post). The 1st thing that makes the place unique is that it is about the largest area afro-tundra anywhere. Tundra in Africa? Who knew? I didn't.
    The 1st 3 pictures look across the landscape. Lots of lichens and low vegetation, except that on tall plant that is reminiscent of a palm tree. It isn't. It's giant lobelia. There are many places with standing water. It's the end of the wet season here. Those water holes will dry up in the dry season.
    The next special fact is that the 2nd highest point in Ethiopia is here, and it's reached by the highest road in Africa . At almost 4,400 meters, it is 2nd only to the peak at Simien Mountain (see another post). The 3rd picture looks across the summit to the elevation sign, while 4 & 5 look out to the view.
    The next important fact is that BMNP is home the the largest population of the extremely rare, red list endangered Ethiopian wolf. There he is in the 6th picture.
    Pictures 7 & 8 are 2 more of the parks resident wildlife. They are the blue winged goose and the wattled ibis.
    The last picture is s view off the north side of the plateau. The south side was clouded in, unfortunately.
    Read more