Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 4

    Intramuros, Manila's old town

    10. desember 2022, Filippinene ⋅ 🌧 30 °C

    Intramuros, meaning "within the walls," is the Spanish old town Manila that dates to the 16th century. It was the seat of the Spanish government in the Philippines for more than 300 years.
    The 1st 2 pictures are St. Augustin church, the oldest standing church in the Philippines and a UNESCO world heritage site. This is the only building in Intramuros that was not destroyed during world war 2. The 3rd picture is in the cloister of the Augustinian convent next to the church. The building is now a museum.
    The 4th picture is the reconstructed palace of the Governor General, the highest Spanish official of the time. The ancient building was 2 stories.
    The next 4 pictures are in Fort Santiago, the inner sanctum of the Spanish occupation military. The 5th picture looks across the most to the main gate. The fort backs up to the Pasig River where a postern gate provided an escape route if the fort was breached. The 6th picture is of another of the gates. The 7th picture is former cells in the fort that has been repurposed to a theater. The 8th picture is in the dungeon used by the Japanese during world war 2. This was a notoriously brutal prison.
    The 9th picture is atop the original city walls.
    The 10th picture is the memorial commemorating the lives lost during the Battle of Manila to retake the city from the Japanese during world war 2.
    Les mer