Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 1

    Auckland

    5 de janeiro de 2023, Nova Zelândia ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    The day I arrived in Auckland, there was an earthquake, and the summer storm that has been plaguing things was reclassified as a cyclone. An earthquake and a cyclone on the same day makes an interesting welcome to New Zealand. Most of these pictures were taken in the gloom and rain.
    The 1st picture is the Ferry Building. If it looks familiar, it is a copy of San Francisco's. It is said that this design was chosen as a way to welcome newcomers with a building that might be familiar.
    The 2nd picture is the old Customs House. The old foreshore was about where the street is. So everything this side of the street is reclaimed land. The Ferry building is actually behind me. So it is on reclaimed land.
    The 3rd picture is Britomart. It was originally the post office but has gone through many changes. It is currently being redone as a train station.
    The 4th picture looks down into the water from Queens Wharf. Those structures hanging in the water are supporting mussels. They are being used to naturally filter and clean the water of the harbor.
    The 5th picture is O'Connell Street. Those black blocks are inscribed with the history of the area, going back to before European settlement .
    At the bottom of O'Connell Street is the Chancery Chambers building shown in the 6th picture. This is the former headquarters of the ADLS, the Auckland Law Society.
    The 7th picture looks up to the Sky Tower, said to be the tallest building in the southern hemisphere.
    And finally, after 4 days of rain, the sun came out. The 8th picture is in Albert Park between downtown and Auckland University. The university is behind me.
    The last picture looks across the harbor from the end of Queens Wharf. There were 2 large cruise ships in port. So it was hard to find a place to see out. This picture looks away from the ocean towards Shoal Bay and Takapuna.
    Leia mais