Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 1

    Some street art in Auckland

    5 janvier 2023, Nouvelle-Zélande ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Auckland has a lot of art. These pictures are a sampling of what's in the central business district.
    The 1st picture is of a statue commemorating the arrival of the people we know as Maori. You can see the bow of a boat at the bottom and a flock of birds above. It is said the Maori followed birds to the land.
    The 2nd picture shows a pair of stacked stone columns meant to depict the largest tree in New Zealand, the kauri tree. The largest exceeds 14 meters in circumference.
    The 3rd picture is of a painting capturing a couple of the local critters. The 4th picture is a small park with a statue of Lord Freyburg, a former governor.
    The 5th picture is a local symbol that collects many local features. The surround is silver fern there is a volcano, a kiwi and more.
    The 6th picture shows many Maori motifs painted on the wall looking like pottery, even though traditional Maori culture didn't have ceramics like this. I didn't catch the reasoning behind the artist's choice.
    The 7th picture is sidewalk art. This mosaic is a traditional Maori design that recalls their journey and arrival to these lands. This design is a copy of an example of how they preserved their history rather than in books like we're used to.
    The last picture is another memorial, this one to women's suffrage. New Zealand is the 1st country to give women the right to vote in 1893.
    En savoir plus