Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    North Island miscellany

    January 11, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Here are several pictures of taken on the north island. These are in no particular order, though they are somewhat grouped into similar subjects. I also note that all pictures are south of Auckland.
    The 1st 2 pictures are in the more central part of the north island. You might think of this as typical of the Shire. The 3rd picture is farther south where the land begins to get more rugged. You might think of this as where the Company of Thorin (Bilbo and dwarves) are approaching the mountains. (See Trollshaw Forest post).
    The 4th picture is farther south yet. This is Lake Taupo. It is a crater lake in the caldera of Taupo Volcano, a supervolcano that is said to be active, though it hasn't erupted in over a millennium. This is also a major geothermal area with many hot springs and geothermal energy projects.
    The 5th picture is of the Huka Falls, a cataract on the Waikato River. This rushing water is created by the river narrowing sharply and creating the canyon.
    The 6th picture is taken in the Auckland Art Gallery. This is an example of traditional Maori weaving to create what is called bark fabric. The motifs are traditional.
    And finally the last picture is a look back at Wellington from out in the harbor. This was taken from the interisland ferry heading for the crossing of the Cook Strait to the South Island.
    Read more