Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    More filming locations

    January 22, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    One last set of filming locations. The 1st 2 pictures are of Caradhras. The pass here is the route the Fellowship selected to bypass the mines of Moria. They were thwarted by Saruman. The 1st is a distant look at the mountain selected to be Caradhras, and the 2nd picture is up close along the side of the mountain pass.
    The 3rd picture looks at the site where Beorn's house was located during the Hobbit films. Beorn was the guy who could change into a bear.
    The 4th picture looks at the location of Isengard, Saruman's lair. It was here that Gandalf learned that Saruman had joined Sauron, and from here, Saruman used his magical powers drove the Fellowship off Caradhras.
    Just right of center in the 5th picture is a lighted section of the far shore. This is the filming location of Dunharrow where the Rohirrim mustered to head off to Gondor to join the war to defend Gondor from the attack by the forces of Sauron.
    The 6th picture looks across to one of the locations used to film the battle of the wargs. It was in this battle where Aragorn was dragged over a cliff and nearly killed not too far from Edoras (see another post).
    In the 7th picture, I'm standing more or less at the shoulder of 1 of the Argonath, the giant statues of kings of Gondor (Isildur and Anárion) with their hand raised in a stop gesture. An the interesting fact: Viggo Mortenson's wife was asked for, and she provided, pictures of his father and grandfather without Viggo's knowledge. These are the faces of the Argonath. I'm told it brought Viggo to tears when he 1st saw it.
    Treebeard was developed as a combination of a number of trees to come up with his character. The 8th picture is 1 of those trees.
    Read more