Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Skippers Canyon (really!)

    January 22, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    This is a real place that developed during the 1860s gold rush in the Otago Valley near Queenstown. Skippers Canyon Road is considered one of the most dangerous roads In all of New Zealand. In the 1st picture you might see why. The road is carved into the wall of the canyon with steep cliffs on both side: 1 up and 1 down. Of course there are no guard rails. And the road is a 2 way public road, mostly one lane plus a bit wide that got away interesting when dirt bikes came flying by and cars that don't expect traffic have to react. I'm told it gets even more interesting when school buses bringing kids on field trips are on the road.
    Also in the 1st picture you can see the original "road" into the canyon. It's the narrow path way down on the far side. Until recently, that was the only way for the folks who live back in the canyon to get in and out.
    The 2nd picture is a look into the canyon. The 3rd picture is the top of Lighthouse Rock, so called because of its shape and because it was a natural marker defining which part of the canyon was the correct way out. The place is a maze.
    The 4th picture is Castle Rock, so called because it looks like a castle. The last picture is Heaven's Gate. It's a 1 lane wide rock cut with 90° turns at both ends. There is also Hell's Gate, another narrow rock cut that's longer and more blind than this one.
    In spite of the name, I'm glad I wasn't driving.
    Read more