Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Manta Island

    March 17, 2023 in Fiji ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Farther northeast from Kuata Island (see another post) in the Yasawa Island chain is Manta Island. This island is known for a natural channel where manta rays feed during certain months. Unfortunately not in March. Maybe in April, but not now. I can say that the coral here is in excellent condition and beautiful.
    The 1st 2 pictures are of the channel where the manta rays will come, one looking across and the other along the channel. The 3rd picture is one of several beaches here, all of which have abundant coral just off shore. Sadly, I still don't have an underwater camera.
    The 4th picture looks at the marine science center where the marine biologists work. Like at Kuata, there is research ongoing here, looking at coral, rays, and local fish species. And, like at Kuata, this is another marine protected area.
    The 5th picture is a walking trail that heads inland along the peninsula where this resort is located, and the 6th picture is is of a small stream that crosses the path.
    In the last picture, I get to introduce Bula, the resort parrot. She just walked up on my shoulder and tried to steal my glasses.
    Read more