Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Rangiroa

    April 14, 2023 in French Polynesia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Rangiroa is one of the largest atolls anywhere. This archipelago is an important source of the Tahitian black pearls. The economy also includes coconuts, grapes (there is even a small winery here), fishing and tourism.
    Rangiroa is also well known as a snorkeling and diving location with the extensive coral reefs and very clear water. Perhaps the best known site is the Blue Lagoon which is essentially an atoll within an atoll.
    The 1st picture is of the waterfront of one of the small villages here. The 2nd picture is of the road on the island. Like other atolls, Rangiroa is long and narrow with only one road plus a few small alleys in the villages.
    The 3rd picture is of a coconut orchard.
    The 4th picture is of Tiputa Pass. It is one of only 2 passes or larger openings in the atoll. The tides run fast through the passes, attracting many of the large fish, rays, etc. to feed.
    The 5th picture is one of the several hundred islets in the atoll. These are called motus and many are used for tourism.
    The 6th picture is another cultural show presented on the upper, front deck of the ship.
    The last picture is my attempt to show how amazingly clear the water is.
    Read more