Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Bora Bora

    April 18, 2023 in French Polynesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Bora Bora is an extinct volcano surrounded by a lagoon and coral reef. The local economy is almost entirely driven by tourism. There are many high end resorts as well as simpler accommodations. Bora Bora is well known for diving and snorkeling. While this suggests that the main attraction here is the lagoon (and rightly so), the island does have many walking trails to explore the mountains.
    The 1st 2 pictures were taken from the rim of the volcano looking over the lagoon. This part of the lagoon is the caldera of the volcano. The 3rd picture, taken later in the day in the rain, looks back from the lagoon to exposed rim of the volcano.
    Another part of Bora Bora's story is world war 2. The island was an important supply and logistics base for the US Navy. There are dozens of bunkers still here. The 4th picture looks through the woods to one of the empty bunkers. Likewise, a number of gun emplacements remain, too. The one in the 5th picture is not an original gun. This one was recovered from the USS Connecticut and paced here.
    The 6th picture is a portion of Matira beach, generally considered the best on the island. It is well over a kilometer of soft white sand facing to the west.
    The 7th picture is another mara (see other posts). Marae are the temples of the pre-Christian religion of the islands.
    The last picture is another part of what remains on the cone of the volcano.
    Read more