Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Darwin

    May 10, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Northern Australia (officially the Northern Territory) is often referred to as the Top End, and Darwin is it's capital. The harbor was 1st identified by the British by a surveyor who was on Charles Darwin's famous voyage. Hence the name.
    Darwin is probably best known for its outdoor opportunities and it's world war 2 history. Examples of the outdoors of the Top End are in other posts. This looks at Darwin itself.
    The 1st 2 pictures are of different parts of the harbor. The commercial port is nearby.
    The 3rd picture is one of several street gardens in town. The building almost visible through the plantings is the old territory administration building.
    The 4 picture is State Park, so called because the Territory Parliament and Supreme Court are a bit visible through the vegetation.
    The 5th picture is also in State Park where an aboriginal woman was working on a traditional painting.
    Darwin is strategically located, making it a target for the Japanese in world war 2. Part of that is it's logistics operation, specifically oil storage. The 6th picture is in one of the extensive tunnels built at the time to protect the resource from bombing.
    The 7th picture is the Anglican Christchurch Cathedral. The 8th picture is the ruins of the old town hall, destroyed by a cyclone in 1974. The 9th picture is a reproduction of the old Brown's Market to give a sense of the town before the war and the cyclone destroyed Darwin twice. The last picture is an example of the street art here.
    Read more