Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Zubiri to Pamplona 27th May

    May 27, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌩️ 27 °C

    A day of rivers and festivals.
    We left Zubiri around 7.45 and were soon walking along the Rio Arga which we followed for most of the day. Waterfalls, rapids and deep pools that I was desperate to get into but didn’t as it would be difficult to get dry and actually difficult to leave I imagine.
    Just out of Zubiri we met up with Mel and Rachel - from Surrey. They were carrying bags of more than 12 kilos - including collagen drinks and specialist hair are apparently! And this was having sent a hold-all full of stuff ahead via the transport system. I was amazed they could lift their bags let alone carry them as my bag of around 8 kilos was practically killing me by the end of the day. They were lovely - interesting stories as always and also, as always on the Camino it seems, wanting to share quite private stories about their lives.
    Came across a fascinating festival in Vilava with enormous dancing puppets.
    This was a hard day as it was hot and the route into Pamplona was largely on tarmac when we got close. My rucksack was really hurting my shoulders so after taking a few more photos in the Marsden t shirt I’m afraid I left it at the hostel in the ‘free to a good home’ box.
    Lovely hostel - Aloha(!). We were very relieved to arrive and sat on the terrace with beers to recover. Private room with shared bathroom - with sheets and towels - perfect.
    It was Caroline’s birthday so went for a wander around Pamplona after recovering, in an attempt to find somewhere to eat. Pamplona was heaving - definitely party town and party night. Eventually decided on bar Gaucho recommended by the hostel host and we were joined by Cheryl and Janice from Winnipeg in Canada and met up with Denis and Bernie from Ireland at the same place. Delicious tapas food and then ice cream. Bar was madly busy as was everywhere in the city centre ans despite it being Caroline’s birthday fundamentally we were all exhausted so still had a pretty early night.
    Read more