Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Day 14 Ages to Burgos

    June 6, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Amazingly slept well despite a dorm of 8 - turns out that the one man on the dorm didn’t sleep so I guess that’s why there wasn’t too much snoring!!
    Left at 7 just after sunrise. A beautiful morning and a gentle start to the day. The poppies looked as if they had been frosted - they had closed up and were tinged with white on the outside but as the temperature rose they seemed to revive.
    There was a ring of standing stones commemorating the people involved with excavating the oldest human settlement in Europe- should learn more about this at the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos tomorrow.
    A tough section uphill on limestone was leavened by fabulous birdsong and then came to a cross at the top of the hill with views towards Burgos. After that it was all downhill or flat - two stops for coffee at villages on the river Pico and then the scenic route into Burgos.
    This wasn’t brilliantly signposted but we aimed for the river (sadly not deep enough to swim in) and then followed that to the ancient gate into the city which leads to the cathedral.
    The whole place looks unreal (one friend compared it to a sandcastle!) and I can’t stop taking photos.
    Had a drink with Camino friends in the Cathdral square then found our hotel (yes a hotel - 3 of us sharing - bathroom and NO bunk beds!!). Caroline and I found a great vegan restaurant, Gaia, about 5 minutes from the hotel but only open from 1.30-4pm. Food was fab and a huge relief after some adequate but not great meatless meals. Four courses for €14.
    Did some washing as usual and our room currently resembles a chines laundry but it’s drying well in the heat ( room is vv hot and when we tried air con it only produced hot air - complained to the hotel but were told that they don’t activate the air con system at this time of year!).
    Drinks at a tapas bar with friends and now going to sleep - very tired but a good day.
    Read more