Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Terradillos to Calzadilla de los Hermani

    June 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Half way!!
    Today I walked just over 30 km and on the way, at Sahagun, I received my half way certificate at the chapel of La Pelegrína.
    There has been every sort of weather today, sun, cloud, mist and a little rain, but I’m sitting on a terrace outside the hostal (room with Rachel tonight with sheets and towels!!) watching my washing dry - and squeezing the water out every so often to try to ensure it dries!
    The day was long but pretty flat - but I can now just see some mountains to the north which are, according to the guidebook, the Cordillera Cantábrica, an extension of the Pyrenees.
    We left at about 6.45 and reached Sahagun around 9.30. Coffee and wholemeal croissants were delicious and then a bit of a hiatus to try to find the chapel where they give the half way certificate.
    Today was weird in that after Sahagun I separated from Caroline, my constant companion of the last three weeks and headed for the Via Romana - a beautiful and very little travelled alternative route along an ancient Roman road. Other than in the shop in the tiny village where the two routes separate,, where we met a French pilgrim also stocking up on food, we saw no one until we arrived in Sahagun. Very empty countryside and with a storm threatening we were really pleased to arrive at our Albergue without getting too wet.
    It feels very different being in such a quiet place with very very few other pilgrims.
    After much needed and very successful clothes washing and drying we had a pilgrim meal with our four fellow guests Stephanie, another digital nomad originally from Germany, Dominic from France and Jane and Eric from Michigan US. It was so fascinating to meet more new people and to hear about their lives and their experiences on the Camino. I even got a really vegetarian meal! What a day!!
    Read more