Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 31

    Riego to Ponferrada

    22. kesäkuuta 2023, Espanja ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    A short day today - only 11km - so had a bit of a lie in and set off around 8.30. A very quiet alpine type walk, with some very steep rocky sections, to Molinaseca. Before leaving the Albergue we picked some more cherries from their tree - sadly there were some already beginning to rot on the tree - clearly only pilgrims are eating them.
    Molinaseca is a wonderful little village accessed over a medieval bridge. The architecture of the previous villages of the Bierzo continued with wooden balconies, often covered in geraniums, overhanging the street. As well, there were some very grand houses in this village with coats of arms displayed on their corners.
    Stopped for coffee and toast and met up with Anna and Ramona.
    Then on to Ponferrada, mainly along roads, but nevertheless pretty quiet.
    Our hostal (vegetarian/vegan) is on the outskirts of town. It’s run by a lovely quite elderly couple who were very keen to help us with anything we needed. It’s a dorm but only is at the moment. Hoping we may get it to ourselves but think it’s unlikely.
    After dropping our bagels and sorting ourselves out a bit we are now in Astorga with a glass of the local Bierzo wine.
    Bought more gazpacho and yoghurt at the supermarket so have eaten cheaply and well.
    Later: visited the Templar castle (see very scenic pictures!) and met up with Anna again - also sharing our room at the hostal. Dinner at the hostel was wonderful - for me, vegan, with lentil soup, tofu with vegetables and salad and then an orange - perfect.
    It’s hot now - I actually love the temperature although it means we will have to leave earlier so that we are not walking in the very hottest part of the day. In a way it’s been a bit strange up until now because it’s been quite cool most of the time, with the odd exception, so at last I can see what walking in the heat is like. Another challenge but I’m up for it!
    New people at dinner. As well as Anna there is Paul from Belgium who has walked from Le Puy and a Spanish man who is at the end of a cycle route on the Camino de plata and who will be home in Galicia in two days time. Also a woman from Mexico walking with four South American friends and a gentleman from Japan (he didn’t seem to want to speak and so I didn’t get to practice my Japanese).
    I am very happy and just want this experience to continue.
    Lue lisää