Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Rabanal to Riego de Ambos

    June 21, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    For the first time we had coffee before leaving our accommodation- I was sad to leave Albergue Guacelmo with its lovely English hospitaleros. The reluctance to get on the way was exacerbated by being even more disorganised than usual owing to having to go to bed in the dark and try to sort stuff out in the morning while others were still sleeping.
    Finally left about 7.45 expecting a very steep climb up to Cruz de Fer. In the end it was pretty gentle -coffee on the way at Foncebaden but was glad we stayed at Rabanal as clouds would have meant no magnificent sunrise and Foncebaden did not have the same sort of atmosphere as Rabanal.
    Cruz de Fer was not quite what I expected but we were lucky that it was not too busy and I left my stone, brought from home, which is the traditional thing to do.
    From there I was expecting a steep downhill walk but in reality it was gently undulating for quite a while and the steep part (which was pretty steep with loose rocks and slate) started quite a bit later.
    It was a long tricky descent into El Acebo, where we ate very good cheese baguettes, then down further in Riego de Ambos. Had a moment of stress about whether we should continue into Riego or stop in El Acebo where there was a big modern hotel with both rooms and dorms (only the dorms would have been affordable) but so pleased we came to our Pension in Riego as it’s a lovely family run place. Very simple but we have an amazing view, a balcony where we’re drying our washing and where they made us a delicious meal - including Padrón peppers. There is a cherry tree in the garden that we were encouraged to pick from. Beautiful blush coloured cherries and so many of them!!
    I’m writing this listening to birdsong and looking out at the mountains. Very happy.

    If you watch the video I’ve attached make sure you have the sound turned up!!
    Read more