Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 35

    O Cebreiro to Fonfria - still in the mou

    26 Jun 2023, Sepanyol ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    I woke up to a misty mountain scene in complete contrast to yesterday’s bright clear skies. From the bedroom window it sounded as if it was raining, but I think it was the trees dripping. We were in the cloud rather than under it.
    As we had a very short walk today we had never planned to leave super early and we’re aiming for around 9 - so no alarm clock necessary, which was a joy!
    We decided to have breakfast at the hotel across the street where we ate with Romona last night. Just coffee and toast but with their delicious local bread which made it special.
    We did leave just after 9 and at first were strolling along a gently undulating path through the cloud.
    It was noticeable that there were lots of new people following the trail having started in O Cebreiro. - some actually running along the trail. But that didn’t last long as it soon became quite steep again in sections because we were headed up to the third highest peak of the whole walk.
    The peak is called Alto de Poio and there was a very welcomed cafe at the top where we sat for quite a while as we then only had about three and a half kilometres to go. It was fascinating watching the clouds moving, revealing the mountains at one moment and then covering them again a few minutes later. At one point we were looking down on the the cloud which undulated like the sea surrounded by a ring of mountains.
    Eventually we decided to continue on to Fonfria. Our Albergue is in a tiny village but seems to have everything we could possibly want. Great washing and drying facilites (my personal obsession). Great food - we had a delicious simple lunch including more of the delicious local cheese with honey. Fruit to buy and fab outside space. Not only loads of washing lines but tables and chairs, loungers, and a trampoline!! Of course I’ve had a quick go on the trampoline and will have another one in a minute but I did find it very exhausting - think I’m fitter but not that fit!
    Dinner in the thatched Palozzo was wonderful too - a day of superlatives. Again. We started with Galician soup, but for the first time in my experience it was vegetarian- normally it has meat in it - so I was very excited to be able to eat it. Then a sort of vegetable risotto and then torta De Santiago - home made and the best one I’ve ever tasted. Very good meal, with local Bierzo red wine and then a Galician liqueur which was a bit like baileys - but I think nicer.
    Lots of new people to meet and old friends too. A very good and really quite relaxing day.
    Baca lagi