Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Cee to Finisterre - to the end of the wo

    July 10, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    This was a short day in principle - only about 12km to Finisterre town but then another 3.5 km each way up to the lighthouse and point zero. We were close to the sea for most of the way and caught our first glimpse of the lighthouse and the official end of the journey through a gateway looming over the sea.
    As we arrived at the beginning of the long beach leading into the town I met James again. He has always seemed to appear at key moments of my Camino and this was no exception. He was leaving for a two day saunter to Muxia with a new camino friend - Dirk (who had walked the Norte). These Camino connections are quite extraordinary.
    We dumped our bags, very gratefully at our accommodation and had a cold drink in town, before continuing up to the lighthouse. Quite a hot and long uphill trudge but all worth it for the exhilarating feeling of reaching the end. Actually, to me mixed with sadness as I didn’t want to finish. I’m pleased and grateful for having been able to manage this journey but so very sad that I am no longer a pilgrim, with all my stuff on my back and in a new place every night.
    We spent a while at the lighthouse, drank a beer, took photos, and then it was time to walk back down into the village.
    Just before reaching the main part of a Finisterre there was a beautiful beach so we spent s bit of time there swimming before heading back to our room.
    This was a cabana right on the other side of town - perfect for setting off to wards Muxia in the morning but a bit out of the way for getting in and out of town. It was beautifully equipped and even had a hot tub (indoor) but I wasn’t really feeling up to doing anything other than eating and going to bed as the sore throat I’d had for a few days had now definitely developed into a very tiresome cold. So the lovely accommodation was a bit wasted on me as I just slept - but the bed was very comfortable which helped a bit.
    Before expiring for the night we found a great little restaurant in the town which specialises in local cuisine/produce but also has a number of vegetarian/vegan options. Also very good local wine with my new favourite godello grape. I have to say we only found this place as a result of completely failing to find the place where I could get my Finisterre certificate which had closed by the time we eventually located it. I might be able to apply by post but assuming that doesn’t work then it’s something to look forward to another time.
    Read more