Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Tavernaccia - Flavio (Our Dinner)

    July 9, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    We wanted to try the restaurant Tavernaccia da Bruno for supper, but when we arrived (right as they opened and after a half hour walk, I might add) they told us that they were booked - all night.

    Ugh.

    Here we were, in a new neighbourhood with all our eggs in one basket. Brad checked the Google Map I made of restaurant recommendations and discovered that we were only 14 minutes away from Flávio al Velavevodetto, so we took a chance and started walking.

    This took us further into the Tessaccio neighbourhood of Rome, which seemed sketchy and deserted at first, but then there were more people and restaurants that made us feel better.

    We arrived at Flávio and were told we would have to sit inside, which was just fine with us. By now it was 8 and we were hungry!

    Evan ordered cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper pasta); Brad had rigatoni carbonara with gunicale; and I had the house special which was hand made ravioli. Mine came as four huge ravioli (each one the size of my hand) packed with ricotta and parmasean - it was all delicious! Then we shared a secondi of tripe in tomato sauce. Tripe is the lining of the cow's fourth stomach and it was unctuous! Evan even tried it (just to shame those who are saying "gross!" at the moment).

    We were stuffed! I used my basic Italian to get the bill (il conto per favore) and then we walked home. Just as we approached Fatamorgana, Brad decided he still had room for gelato (Evan always has room) so the boys shared a cup of vanilla and rice gelato and straticalla gelato.

    Finally, we made it home around 10:30 just in time for Evan to shower and all of us to hit the hay.
    Read more