Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Butter and Anchovy and Darts

    July 15, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Brad and I enjoyed the last of our prosecco before heading out for dinner. We had a reservation at Butter and Anchovy, named for a traditional Tuscan antipasto. Luckily, it was only a few minutes from our apartment.

    We started with the namesake dish of butter and anchovies. We were brought slices of slightly toasted bread with curls of butter and some anchovies in oil. Evan was not a fan, but Brad and I enjoyed the salty buttery taste!

    For our primi, we each got our own dish (although there was a lot of trying of each other's as always). Evan chose a gnocchi with a basil pesto and white fish; Brad had risotto with pieces of raw fish and shrimp; and I had spaghetti with anchovies. All the dishes were very good, but the real gem of the night was our secondi. We shared a platter of grilled mixed seafood, which included langoustine, shrimp, squid, and a firm white fish. We also got a side of fried zucchini blossoms, which were sweeter and meatier than expected- I'm not sure why we don't eat this in Canada because it's delicious! Anyway, the grilled seafood was truly outstanding!

    We shared the dolci course, which was a tiramisu. Evan claims he's never had it before, so I guess having your first taste of tiramisu in Italy sets the bar pretty high!

    The night was still young (in an Italian way) so we popped into a craft brew pub, Archea, for a quick pint. Evan noticed the darts machine and asked the woman behind the bar if he could play. He popped his money in and he and Brad played a round of darts. After a few darts crashing to the floor, he eventually got the hang of it and was disappointed when it was time to head home.

    We are off to Pisa in the morning! Hopefully the tower won't fall over before we arrive.
    Read more