Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Guggenheim, Met, SoHo

    July 8, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    We began our day with brunch in Harlem at Marcus Samuelsson’s Red Rooster. Evan had French toast, Brad had Nashville honey hot chicken, and I had shrimp and grits. While we ate, a jazz band played and sang gospel music. It was a great start to our Sunday!

    After a quick stop at our apartment, we got on the M1 bus and took it to the Guggenheim. We just wanted to see the building and inside the vestibule, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. We grabbed some lattes at Blueline and then walked over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We all viewed the modern and contemporary art first. There were a few Rothko’s and a couple great Pollock’s as well! Then we split off and the boys went to the see the armour and I went to the special Costume and Christianity exhibit. We met back up at the Egyptian Temple and then scooted out as the Met had become impossibly crowded!

    Our next destination was SoHo (South of Houston) for a bit of shopping. In the end, Evan was the only person that bought anything - sunglasses to replace the pair he lost the night of the fireworks.

    Our dinner reservation was quite early because it was the only time I could book at Carbone. This restaurant is old school Italian and a favourite among celebrities. We were seated by a tuxedo wearing server and serenaded by Frank Sinatra tunes. Before we ordered, we were brought shards of real parmigiana reggiano, salami, pickled vegetables, and a variety of bread. We began with a chopped salad of bitter greens, olives, mushrooms, and tomatoes. This was followed by three pastas: a take on cacio e pepe with crab; tortellini with ragu; and lobster ravioli. We all shared the pastas, but each had our own favourite. Then we shared meatballs, which were incredible! To finish, Brad and I shared tiramisu, while Evan opted to eat some chips at home instead. Go figure.

    The meal was amazing from start to finish and gave us a little taste of Italy again!

    Following dinner, we walked to the subway station abs caught the train back home. We stopped at Whole Foods to grab breakfast provisions and then spent the rest of the evening relaxing.
    Read more