Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 21

    Last Day in Bangkok

    24 juillet 2023, Thaïlande ⋅ ☁️ 32 °C

    This morning we slept in a bit as we didn’t have a tour planned. After breakfast, we decided to go see an art show at one of the metro stations. We had seen this show advertised on our many metro trips and we have seen very little non-religious art on this trip, so it seemed like a good option.

    We rode the metro for about 30 minutes and arrived at the station. The show was by a Thai artist who has a distinct graffiti style. The show was small, but his work was colourful and I think he achieved his goal of spreading happiness through his work.

    After the show, we thought we’d try our luck at hail a taxi to take us to the Museum of Contemporary Art. As this museum is privately funded, it was built in an odd residential-like neighborhood. The first cab driver just refused to take us there, but we convinced the second one to take us (despite him not speaking any English and us not speaking any Thai). The ride probably took about 20 minutes and we helped him navigate by using basic right and left commands.

    The museum did not disappoint! It had five floors of mostly contemporary artwork by Thai artists. Some of my favourites included a collection of masks from different SE Asian countries as well as paper puppets. To see the different representations of Hindu gods was very neat! We spent a few hours exploring the galleries before grabbing a couple quick sandwiches and making our way back to the train system. Getting back to our hotel was no easy task, but we eventually got there!

    We spent time cooling down and then getting ready for dinner. We were going to have to take the metro to dinner, so we left a bit early. When we arrived at our destination station, we were spit out into the weirdest area of roadways and a sketchy looking sidewalk. Walking quickly, we finally found the Issaya Siamese Club tucked away behind a wall and trees. Despite the neighborhood surroundings, it was an absolute oasis.

    We were seated in the beautiful dining room of the French colonial style home and ordered drinks (a pandan cooler for me and Brad had a sour fizz with gin, lemon and kefir leaf). We decided to order the set menu. Our server brought us four amuse bouche to start: oysters, little chicken and chili cups, a coconut creme brûlée, and satay.

    Our first courses came all at once: salmon pad Thai (the salmon acted as the noodles!); spice rubbed pork ribs; and a banana flower and heart of palm salad. This was followed by the main course of massan curry with lamb shank; river prawns with a spicy pepper sauce; a rice and mushroom dish; charcoal grilled and flambéed chicken. To finish, we had a jasmine panna cotta with passion fruit and pineapple. The cherry on top was the little glasses of complimentary Thai digestif that tasted like anise and cinnamon. It was such a good way to wrap up not only our time in Thailand, but also a really amazing trip!
    En savoir plus