Satellite
  • Day 12

    Fighting, Singing, Dancing, Storytelling

    December 2, 2017 in India ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our trip wasn’t all temples; we also sampled south India traditional performing arts in he evenings.

    Kalaripayattu Martial Art show. Another traditional art form, the young men begin this specialized training in early in life. With a heavy emphasis on gymnastics and wrestling, paired fighters enter the arena to battle with swords, sticks, and daggers, the match ending when one of them is put into an inescapable hold. There is a bit of showmanship too—a fighter somersaults over 5 people and another jumps through progressively smaller rings of fire. It was a fascinating and impressive show.

    Music Recital. Reminded me of a jazz trio, playing several selections of upbeat toe-tapping music (called ragas) on the Veena, a gourdlike string instrument, the Mradangam two-ended drum, and the morsing mouth harp.

    Classic dance. A brief recital by a 20 year old girl and boy, she studying dance since age 3; he from age 10. Through expressive movements they tell the Hindu stories of the gods.

    Khatakahli drama show. A traditional Kerala art form dating from the 16th century that involves elaborate makeup and expressive facial gestures. The men putting on the makeup before the show—which can take up to an hour—is part of the attraction. The master of ceremonies offered a short explanation of the rigorous training the performers go through and a demonstration of how they express the 9 emotions through facial, hand, and body gesture. Traditionally this type of performance lasts 6-8 hours. For us, thankfully, they provide an abbreviated 30 minute version: the story of a god and a beautiful girl who tries to seduce him. She is in disguise as she is actually a demon and when he finds out he cuts her head off. The entire thing is done to drumming and chanting with the actors dressed in elaborate costumes and acting out their roles with the exaggerated facial and hand gestures that they perfect over years of training.
    Read more