Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Paris afternoon

    September 17, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We visited Notre Dame to view the progress of the reconstruction project that is underway after the destructive fire of 15 April 2019. The project is huge and will take years. The displays all around the site provide information about the fire and the work done since. The is also an amazing display in the square in front of the cathedral that exhibits the various kind of work involved in building a cathedral. There a builders working with massive oak logs with authentic medieval tools. There are stone masons carving stone details designers working on the gargoyle designs and arch features for the stone masons to work on. There were stained glass masons putting together stained glass for the project. All of these are on display in a village which has been erected for the purpose in the Notre Dame forecourt. An amazing place to visit.
    We then found our way to a French creperie to enjoy a crepe for lunch.
    Then we caught a train to the Eiffel Tower and then to buy tickets for a Seine cruise.
    Sandy nearly crushed a small Chinese lady who broke her fall when she tripped over a speed hump on the way to the ticket booth.
    The cruise on the Seine was a very pleasant way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon and a great way to get a sense of some of the city’s landmarks.
    After the cruise, we caught the train back to our Airbnb and checked in. After going out to buy some food for dinner, we got a relatively early night to try to make up for the 48 hours of travelling and the jet lag we were all feeling.
    A memorable day in Paris.
    Read more