Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Paris to Rome

    September 18, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    This morning we found a Boulanger that had fresh baguettes and pastries for breakfast. A delicious selection of French delights. We had a relaxing morning before checking out at 11.00 and commencing our journey to Rome.
    We caught two trains and a bus to Orly airport, south of Paris. Then a Vueling plane to Rome airport, taking off at 3pm and landing at 5pm.
    We caught the Leonardo express from Fuicimi Airport to Rome Termini Station and then walked the 10 minutes to our hotel, Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi. It is right across the road from an grand old church Basilica Papale de Santa Maria Maggiore, which dates from the 5th century.
    We checked in at about 7.00pm and then went out for dinner to a local restaurant where we sat outside al fresco in the warm balmy Roman autumn weather and enjoyed our first taste of Italian food for our trip. It included pizza, carbonara pasta, bruschetta and arancini. Delicious.
    After dinner we went for a walk to see the Colosseum by night, with all the arches and antique carvings lit up against the night sky. We walked past two red Ferraris double parked in front of a restaurant where the owners were casually having dinner while everyone gawked at their cars out the front.
    On our way back to the hotel we enjoyed our first gelato. We walked to the square in front of the old basilica near our hotel, finished our gelato and marveled at the magnificent aroma architecture all around us in the piazza.
    It was a day waking up in Paris and going to sleep in Rome.
    Read more