Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Tour of the Vatican

    September 20, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We were up early this morning to embark on a tour of the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Cathedral and square.
    Our guide did a great job getting us early access to the Vatican museum and taking us through its most important rooms and explaining the most significant exhibits. It is an extraordinary collection of exhibits and it would take a full month to view each item in each room. What a place and what an overview of history. The Sistine Chapel is an amazing experience, seeing the work of Michelangelo in several of his artistic periods. Raphael is also an artist whose work is well represented in the significant rooms that were once the papal apartments before the museum took them over in the 1700s.
    After the museum was explored, along with the other 30,000 people there, we went into the Cathedral to marvel at the size and scale of the largest church in the world by a significant margin. It is huge and opulent. And the sculptures and artworks by Michelangelo and Bernini were incredible. It is a humbling thing to see something so old and on such a grand scale.
    Read more