Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Art of Spanish Civil War

    August 3, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 81 °F

    The museum contains the permanent collection of modern art dedicated to art produced during the period of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). A total of 108 pieces are shown including paintings, drawings, engravings, photographs, sculptures, paper money, along with new media , such as illustrated publications, posters, photomontage or cinema, which were put at the service of both sides. Works by 43 artists are on display, some of whom had never been exhibited in the museum’s rooms. A set of 57 works from the reserves are exhibited for the first time in the rooms of the permanent collection. Works from private repositories will also be shown for the first time, as well as some recent acquisitions, which will help to enrich the exhibition discourse.

    During the years of the war, many artists decided not to remain neutral: art becomes a powerful weapon to stir consciences and add followers to one or another political cause.

    Despite the dramatic conditions of the context, this mobilization led to the culmination of some of the aspirations of modern and avant-garde art. The war as a reason unfolds a whole iconographic program where they emphasize subjects like the war front, the aerial bombings or the massacres and evacuations of the civilian population.
    Read more