Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Bangkok, Thailand

    January 10 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Singapore came through for us and the computer was fixed, finally! Ken had to wait in the rain under an overhang at a random guy’s apartment for 45 minutes (the computer tech accidentally fell asleep). Our final day in Singapore we went on a long bike ride. All across the city are app-based bike rentals, but since we only had two working cell phones and Everett was under 16, we rented the bikes from a bike shop along the East Coast Park. It was a fun (and hot!) afternoon ride. Kelvis said it was the best day of the trip. That night we saw the light show at Gardens by the Bay, a super modern botanical garden that includes giant solar-powered trees.

    The next day we spent most of the day at the Chiangi Airport, one of the nicest airports in the world. That evening we said goodbye to Kelvis as he returned to Uganda and we headed on to Thailand. It was a wonderful experience to have a travel companion, experience new things through his eyes, and give such an opportunity to a deserving kid. We were worried about sending him solo across the globe (Singapore > Doha > Entebbe) but he did great and even made friends along the way.

    Ok, so here’s where the story takes a turn. For the last six days in Bangkok, I came down with Dengue Fever, which is a viral infection from a mosquito bite. Shout out to Dr Tanya who told me to go to the hospital. And shout out to Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital – highly recommend them if you ever get sick in Bangkok. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our scuba diving lessons on Koh Tao and stay in Bangkok longer than expected. Ken worked his magic and found us a very nice apartment near the hospital, since I would need to come back several times for outpatient blood work.

    While I’ve been under the weather, the boys have been by my side but also keeping busy – a hop on/hop off boat, swimming pool, shopping, foot massage, airplane themed mall, Aquaman movie, and the Millennium Hilton breakfast!
    Read more