Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Fernandina and Isabela Islands

    April 20 in Ecuador ⋅ 🌫 86 °F

    Sunrise: 0554; High tide: 1257, 5.9 ft. / 1.8 m
    Sunset: 1758; Low tide: 0637, 1.9 ft./0.6m

    Originally, our cruise was scheduled for Genovesa Island on this day. However, due to an Avian Flu outbreak the island is closed. We re-route to Fernandina where there is an on-going volcanic eruption that we view from the ship deck at 4:30 am. We are now on the westernmost region of the Galápagos. It is clearly apparent that this environment is very different from the rest of the archipelago. Here, the nutrient-rich waters of the deep Equatorial Counter-current rise alongside the western edge of the undersea Galápagos Platform. At times, this upwelling phenomenon results in thick sea fogs and remarkably cool seat temperatures, occasionally dropping as low as the mid-50s F for water temperature. These conditions drive a thriving marine ecosystem.

    After a few minutes of snoozing after the lava flows, we embark for a dry landing on a stone quay to view many “messes” of marine iguanas. Conditions have just turned more favorable and there is evidence that the iguanas had been suffering recently, with more than a few rotting corpses. We experience the fog and the high temperatures even early in the morning and are “parboiled” and drenched in sweat upon return.
    Read more