Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Day 44 - An Oasis or Rehab?

    June 5, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    Great sleep. Went down to breakfast to find alcoholic woman’s boyfriend in breakfast without her. He didn’t acknowledge us, rude bastard. Deserves all he gets! He was telling another woman, that he was a drifter & had been in rehab (we were right) & was now an ad hoc driver.

    We overheard him whispering about an incident that happened last night. We believe alcoholic woman, we shall called Lil, either threw up or worse in her room last night. We saw her taking a bag of washing to the laundry & collecting it an hour later despite it being their first night.

    Lil turned up for breakfast looking the worst for wear & managed to eat only an egg. We heard her complaining she hadn’t slept well because light shone into their room. She usually stays in Room 110 (ours) or 109.

    We settled into our sun beds for the day, well away from Lil & her boyfriend & we’d conduct a tag team surveillance job on her. (Bully would’ve been proud of us). It was a ‘Day in the Life of an Alcoholic’ study.

    First I had a chat with Jim from Salt Lake City, who admitted he went back to the UFO conference yesterday for fear of missing out. I was starting to like Jim, he seemed quite a nice bloke.

    Lil then made an appearance, never without her Starbucks bottle which she supped repeatedly & disappeared for regular refills. Around 11.00am, Lil’s boyfriend started shouting that their room was flooded. Maintenance attended & discovered baby wipes had blocked the toilet. We suspect she did it & they were hoping to get a new room.

    Other than this incident, it was quite a sedate start for her, so we put our music on & just observed from afar. She spent most of her time on her lilo. By 1.00pm, she was decidedly wobbly on her feet & her music went on & got turned up a notch at regular intervals. We turned our stereo off.

    Around 3.00pm, new guests started arriving & she attempted to latch on to each & everyone one of them. Her boyfriend had already retreated to their room.

    By 5.00pm, she was seriously staggering around & twice fell on her arse when trying to sit on the edge of the pool. She was accepting / asking for drinks from the new guests & trying to get into their conversations, mainly by asking “Have you been to Vegas yet?” When she felt she was being ignored, she would turn her stereo up until people felt obliged to acknowledge her.

    Some of the other guests are a bit peculiar too. Jackie has spotted another alcoholic & we have a skinny muscle man who is really skittish. He said something to me, but I have no clue what he said, I just smiled & nodded. Other guests are drinking heavily. It feels likes we are at a failed Rehabilitation Centre!

    I left Jackie to keep watch, whilst I had a walk to explore the vicinity. It is very nice, maybe a bit sterile. It is all big bungalows & apartments with cactus gardens & palm tree 🌴 lined streets. No sidewalks, so presumably no one walks anywhere. Probably too hot to.

    At 7.30pm, we lost eyeball, whilst we had our dinner, lasagna, salad & burnt garlic bread (not Jackie’s fault). At 7.50pm, we looked out & Lil was alone, staggering about trying to collect her things, then she disappeared to her room.

    We stood down soon after & retired to the air con in our room, both suffering from a mild case of sunstroke. The temperature allegedly reached 105 degrees today.

    We have had a nice break for some much needed R & R, but we are both ready to move on.

    Song of the Day - Rehab by Amy Winehouse.

    Bonus Song of the Day :-

    The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) by Fun Boy Three
    Read more