Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Day 30 - Travel Restriction Conundrums

    September 2, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We both had an overdue cracking sleep & got up at 6.30 & 7.30am respectively, then had cereal for breakfast.

    Jackie had decided that she was going to ring her ‘friend’ Tim at the Citroen Garage in Crawley to see if he could offer a solution to our car lock problem. Before doing so we returned to our car to check it once more. It still wasn’t locking, but we also tried to open the boot & discovered that it was slightly ajar after my efforts to open it yesterday. We managed to close the boot still with 2 bikes & the carrier on it & lo and behold the car now locks!

    Our 2nd bit of luck was we found an ATM that didn’t charge us for withdrawals & thirdly we found a homemade wine shop & bought 3 litres of white. We then hit the pebbly beach directly at the bottom of our road for a pleasant morning in the mid 20s centigrade.

    At lunchtime, we strolled along the prom & found a nice little seafront restaurant called Piazzetta & shared a pepperoni Pizzella & a couple of beers. Over lunch we looked at our options to getting home. It is a real logistical nightmare. Most countries don’t want us visiting because we have been holidaying in Croatia. As it stands we will have to pay to get a Covid test to enter Italy & hope that it is negative. God knows what happens if either of us tests positive!

    We agreed to review our options again in about 10 days time when we are back in northern Croatia.

    The afternoon was back to the beach & we were surprised to see our hosts having a swim, who I might add are not Jackie favourite people. What has incensed Jackie is that on top of ‘toiletpapergate’, she has read on the reviews on Booking.com that our hosts have provided other guests with complimentary wine, beer & grapes upon arrival. We have had zilch. I can see a negative review coming on.

    At 5.00pm we left the beach, removed the bikes from the rack & repacked the boot. Jackie then gave me an action man haircut back at the apartment.

    After a couple of glasses of our homemade wine, we went back to Konoba Andiamo. The waiter was a star & gave us the reserved sea view table. Jackie had the homemade macaroni with seafood & I with beef. During dinner an orange glow appeared behind the mountain, then the rising moon appeared, reflecting upon the sea. I failed to take a decent photo to aptly appreciate it’s beauty.

    It was a very decent meal & the waiter gave us a complimentary nightcap of grappa, but he insisted on necking one with us with a “Cheers”. After paying our bill, the waiter bizarrely, but in a gesture of friendship held out his hand to shake it. I shook it, then sanitised.

    We didn’t last much longer this evening.

    Song of the Day : New Moon Rising by Wolfmother.
    Read more