Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Gloucester and Stratford

    September 9, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Last night, as there are little to none charging facilities in Stow, we managed to sneak the car into the retirement village next door and hooked up the EV to one of their chargers overnight. David popped back this morning to find the car with a full charge, not sure how far that will get us but we'll give it a go !

    Today we are on our way to Stratford Upon Avon but as our check in t o Macdonald Alviston Manor isn't until 3pm, we are taking a detour to see Gloucester Cathedral. Here they filmed some of the Harry Potter scenes in the cloisters at the cathedral.

    It is a huge church and there was alot to see inside. The stained glass windows were incredible and so full of bright colours. The cloisters surround three sides of the cathedral and surround a peaceful court yard.

    We entered directly inside into the nave. a huge space with massive column reaching up to vaulted ceilings. (sounds like a real estate ad to sell a house). There is a typical layout of a closed off area for the choir that leads up to the presbytery. These areas are surrounded by a walkway or ambulatory and it has may tombs along it including King Edward II who was murdered.

    David and Daniel went up the spiral staircase to the Tribune Gallery that wraps around the presbytery. You get a better overhead view of the cathedral from there.

    After we finished at the cathedral we wandered around Gloucester which is a lovely smaller city. During our wander, Dan found an advert for a Star Wars exhibition at the Gloucester Museum so we of course went there. On the way David and Dan found a record shop so we had to go there too. Dan bought some more vinyl to add to his collection, he's doing quite well with the shopping.

    The Star Wars exhibit is a private collection of original toys from 1977. It was great to see and remember the toys we once had as kids although David still has all of his originals, still in the boxes they were sold in.
    It was a pretty cool exhibit, if you like that stuff that is.

    From Gloucester we got back on the road again and made our way to Stratford Upon Avon for our stay in the Manor house. Macdonald Alviston Manor House is a beautiful huge manor. Originally from the 16th century, it has been added to over the years and is on beautiful grounds.

    I have been so excited to stay. We drove up the lush driveway to an amazing manor house. We booked in and drove around the back to the part of the house where our rooms are..... in a 70's addition.

    The room is large with a shower in the bathroom (have been having a bath the last couple of nights) and is very comfortable but none the less, disappointing not to be staying in the 16th century part of the manor. First world problem I guess.

    Heading back to London tomorrow, who knows what we will find along the way?
    Read more