Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 161

    Belgrade, Serbia

    October 16, 2022 in Serbia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Belgrade is the capital of Serbia and former capital of Yugoslavia. It's also one of the most polluted cities in the world based on air quality and you could certainly tell. Its most significant landmark is the Beogradska Tvrđava, an imposing fortress at the confluence of the Danube and the Sava rivers. The fort is a testament to the city’s strategic importance to the Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, Serbian and Austrian empires, and it's now the site of several museums as well as Kalemegdan, a vast park.

    The city of Belgrade itself was destroyed 44 times throughout the course of its history. Most recently in WWII where half of Belgrade was totally razed. Today its a very fun, younger, and somewhat modern city. It's known for its quaint Bohemian district loaded with cafes, restaurants, and bars in a nature setting. It feels similar to parts of Boston. They have a predominate night club scene with floating clubs situated along the banks of the Sava River. They also have tons of breweries and orthodox cathedrals downtown. It's home to Tito's residence and mausoleum which we toured as its now part of the Yugoslavia museum not far from the city center.
    Read more