Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 164

    Novi Sad, Serbia

    October 19, 2022 in Serbia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Novi Sad is the second most populous city of Serbia and located along the Danube river. It's also the capital of the autonomous province of Vojvodina. Vojvodina is lesser known, but has a similar situation to the other autonomous province in Serbia, Kosovo. Both are ethnically segregated from the rest of Serbia. Kosovo being largely Albanian Muslim, and Vojvodina being Hungarian and a little more religiously diverse (Serbia is mainly an Orthodox country). Both autonomous provinces had the same status I the former Yugoslavia, while being part of larger Serbia. While Kosovo has voted for independence, Vojvodina has not taken those steps yet.

    Novi Sad is most well known for the near by Fruška Gora national park. The park is a mountain with 11 monasteries asking the top. It's a popular pilgrimage spot for Orthodox Christians. Unfortunately, we were not able to make the pilgrimage ourselves.

    One of the other main attractions is Petrovaradin Fortress. The fortress was built in the 1600s but excavations have found evidence of habitation in the area of Petrovardadin since 19,000 to 15,000 BC.

    Pictures are coming.
    Read more