Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 399

    Vienna, Austria

    June 11, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Vienna (or Wien as locals call it) was amazing to see as the seat of the Austro-Hungarian. Known, for its museums, contributions to classical music, and its architecture. While we've been to many historically significant places, few have had such vast, but recent influence upon Europe (except Istanbul).

    The architecture is the thing that really stands out as you walk the streets. Every building is constructed with stylistically matching facades. Even simple apartment buildings seems like works of art that would draw crowds in the US.

    One notable trend we saw in Vienna, which was new to us was the Balkan culture. In the US where you might see an Indian, Asian or may be Latino grocery store, in Vienna those were replaced by Balkan groceries selling Cervapi or electronic stores or clothing stores. It was interesting to remember that these were states of the Empire and their influence is still felt here.

    Also of note were the museums and palaces. There are a number of different palaces of past nobles around the city. Most notable is "The Hofburg" the seat of the Habsburg Empire. We attended the Museum of Natural History. They are known for having the largest meteor collection in the World. We were actually surprised to find a piece of the Barringer Meteor crater from Arizona in Austria as well. It was a great call back to our US road trip where we saw the crater and another piece of the same meteor.
    Read more