Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 273

    Cappadocia pt 2

    February 4 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    After the sunrise we drove about an hour to see an underground city that the ancient turkish people also made. The tunnels were very small, the people living in Turkey 2000 years ago mustve been very short because even ozge was having to crouch and she's only 5'4. The tunnels went down surprisingly far, I reckon 50-100 metres.
    Next we went to visit an ancient monastery that was carved into a mound of spikey rocks. I was really surprised how intricate some of the rooms were, there were roman-like pillars and arches that looked like windows carved into the walls, it looked quite similar to a lot of the other classical churches we've visited, some rooms also still had faint religious paintings on the roofs and walls, I reckon it would've looked brilliant when it was all new.
    After that we drove all the way back to town and tried to see the open air museum but it was closed, we were all super tired so it didn't concern any of us too much. Instead we went to the main sunset lookout and enjoyed some mulled wine and salep, which is a milky drink made from the roots of orchids. I later learned that its very inefficient to make salep, so much so that its even illegal to make in some countries, so i probably won't get it again but it was really delicious. It tastes like warm milk with melted marshmallows in it but with a more silky texture and they put cinnamon in it. Once again the sunset was a little non-existent due to clouds and fog but it was still a lovely place to sit and take in the view.
    For dinner we went to a traditional Turkish meze where we had to sit on the floor. We got a bottle of local cappadocia wine which I ended up having most of because spencer and ozge both wanted to drive home. The atmosphere was awesome and the food was super tasty, it was a perfect way to end a fabulous day :). Ozge drove home but it was fine this time.
    Read more