Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Tuscany under the clouds

    May 15, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    5am the alarm goes off. 😲 Time to wake up get ready and take the 20 minute walk to our meeting place for our Tuscany tour.
    So excited as this is a place I've been wanting to see for a long time.
    We walk to the door of our hotel only to see the RAIN come down. Not a great way to start our day especially when our tours are outside. Our hotel staff calls a taxi for us. We arrive at Popolo Square. Still very cloudy a drop here and there. Once again, we're early. We walk into a church (they're all over) sit there Pray for no rain, safe travels and health of all our loved ones.
    We figure we'll walk and find a cafe'. We find one have our cappuccinos and share a danish. No pancakes and waffles here. NO STARBUCKS EITHER!! 😲
    We head back to the square line up and get on the bus. 65 people on this tour. Divided by 3 different sticker colors. We're "GOLD"!
    On the way it poured rain for about 5 minutes then it stopped. Two hours for our 1st stop but we did stop at what they called "THE BAR". Thought we were stopping for a drink. It's an old bar building that has become a souvenier and toilet stop. Best part of this place was the FREE SAMPLES. Chocolates, Cookies, Virgin Oils, WINE, Chocolate Truffles, Lotions, Body Oils.......at this point we didn't need to buy snacks.
    Scenery is beautiful. Picturestique❣
    First stop the medieval town of MONTEPULCIANO. This is such an amazing little town John and I could see ourselves living there. What a great retirement place, so calm and peaceful.
    Next stop was a church that has been there for centuries. (Like everything else in Rome) the church was a horse stable before being restored. Gorgeous scenery. We then were taken on a 30 minute drive to an old Tuscan farm for a 3 course meal and wine tasting of 5 different wines. The food "delicious" and cooked by the owner. Sweet lady who reminded me of my Nana. She said I was "BELLA"! LOL
    After being full and tipsy we went off to Montalcino and Pienza. Two other old towns.
    We had the most amazing tour. We loved Rebecca one of our tour guides cuz she always gave us and the couple across from us (from San Juan Capistrano,CA) what was left in the wine bottles. As they say "If you don't ask you'll never know". YES, we asked for more VINO. 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
    We arrived back to Rome at 8pm. Taxi's were very busy so.....YUPPPP WE WALKED BACK TO OUR HOTEL.
    Packed for tomorrow mornings train to Naples. 2 hour train ride then we'll be picked up by a Private car for a 2 hour drive to our hotel in Amalfi Coast.
    Hope to have some SUN to lay out and relax. We've been very lucky weather wise. Rain has shown on forcast then stops when we are out and about.
    Ciao' for now~
    Read more