Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    04.11.2024 Cape Town, S. Africa

    April 11 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    I know I know we were suppose to be at sea today but the wind gods said no. We remain in port at Cape Town. We have winds of 46 mph which is a crosswind so we are unable to leave the harbor. Even the tugs would not be able to stop us from drifting.
    The sad part is Viking asked for clearance so we could go back through immigration today and get off the ship. The S. African government said no.
    The good news is it is sunny and 73 degrees and… Table Mountain has no cloud cover.
    A quiet day on board. Diana need a fine day so this worked in her favor. Myron attended the 9:30 lecture with Guest Lecture with Mr. Russell Lee: "Tulip Mania: The Bulb That Sprouted the First Stock Market Bubble."
    Learn how tulips created an economic bubble in the 1600s and what led to its eventual collapse.
    At 2:30 he attended the Guest Lecture with Dr. Tony Waltham:
    "Alluvial Diamonds of Namibia and More."
    Learn how alluvial diamonds transformed the economy of Namibia and had different impacts on other countries.
    Myron went to listen to our assistant cruise director perform solo tonight and Diana remained in the cabin. As this goes to print, remain in Cape Town with high winds.
    Read more