Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95–96

    04.10.2024 Cape Town, S. Africa

    April 10 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Welcome to Cape Town, South Africa. Cooler weather today with a high of 68. Windy and sunny.
    We had a Viking included excursion to Table Mountain: a celebrated Cape Town landmark-and admire its extraordinary views. Start your tour of the iconic mountain at Kloof Nek's lower cableway station, where you will ride the Rotair cable car up the mountainside. Enjoy the panoramic views courtesy of its 360° rotating floor.
    Take in the spectacular scenery as you ascend 2,300 feet from the Valley Station to the Mountain Station. On the summit, gaze at Devil's Peak on the left, Lion's Head on the right and Signal Hill in the foreground, with Cape Town and its suburbs lying in between. Stand on top of the approximately 500-million-year-old rocky formation and reflect on nature's enduring power and majesty as you take in your surroundings.
    Due to weather the Table was “covered” by the tablecloth (clouds) so we could not see anything from the top. We did get a few pictures from Signal Hill. We did a brief drive through the city.
    Upon returning to the the ship we hopped on the shuttle and went to Victoria and Alfred’s Wharf. We had lunch at Quay 40 along with a few beers in the sunshine. Jean, there is a Zara at this fantastic mall. I bought nothing but a piece of luggage we will need.
    We were back on the ship and at 6:30 attended a Guest Lecture with Mr. Russell Lee: "The Legend of the Flying Dutchman."
    Set sail with the mythical ghost ship that is doomed to roam the seven seas for all eternity.
    This was followed by a late dinner in the Restaurant.
    Read more