Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Salvation Army

    May 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Question 8:
    “Write about a Philadelphia leader.”
    The leaders we worked with were all very dynamic in who they are and how they serve. It is their humility that makes them such dynamic servant leaders. One of the leaders was a walking advertisement for her organization and her mission. Major Susan was our ‘hostess’ as we worked for the Philadelphia local Salvation Army.
    While we worked, Major Susan wore many hats: she hosted as she made us comfortable and assured we had what we needed; she instructed as she taught us about the mission of the Salvation Army. Beyond that, she was a leader and a servant.
    Our primary task at the Salvation Army was to sort toys and gifts for children. The toys and gifts were donated from the people of Philadelphia through various drop off centers in the city. We sorted those toys into different categories of boxes. Major Susan worked along with us.
    Major Susan spoke passionately about the mission and motto of the Salvation Army including “The Gift of Hope. Her passion came through in her teaching and in her service. The Salvation Army has an insignia of a red shield, that shield of hope. Major Susan wore a shirt that not only advertised what the organization what but also who she was as a leader. It read, ‘I am a shield.’ That is a great quality in a leader, she not only supports the mission of the organization, she lives and becomes the mission. What stood out to me about Major Susan is that she truly is that shield of hope for the children of Philadelphia. She is the Salvation Army.
    Read more