Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The Loft

    May 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Question 3: “What about the service experiences is different than the service we do on the team”?

    I chose a picture of the loft to symbolize what I felt was the “big picture” of how these service experiences were different than the service work we do on the leadership team. Although I enjoyed our accommodations at the hostel better than those at the loft, the loft was important because we were immersed within the culture we were hoping to serve. That immersion is something I witnessed within the leaders that worked with us at the various sites. They do not just show up, put in a few manual labor hours and get out. They have become an integral part of the neighborhoods and families they serve. Building relationships is important to these servant leaders and the benefit of that belief is seen in every neighborhood and service area we worked in.
    This is not always the case with what we do. We seem to do the same projects year after year for people who expect it. We do not spend long term time with people, getting to understand their situations or their needs. How can we provide the best service if we do not ask the questions about what is needed? We also divvy up the jobs according to schedules and what we can do. For the service we participated in while in Philadelphia we witnessed people asked those questions and gave freely of their time and talents. They built their schedules around the service, not the other way around. Becoming immersed in the community you serve also allows you to see immediate results of the people and families you impact. I think the leadership aspect of service can develop much better in these situations.
    Read more