Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    From Beaches to Mountains

    February 1, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We say goodbye to Zee and yet again I am sad to be leaving here, but I must get away from the mosquitos or I'll need a blood transfusion. We board the bus and as my language is improving these journeys are getting less stressful or so i think.....the journey up the mountain has me on tenderhooks, the driver is on a death wish but as we climb i cant help but hold on tight and look down. the winding road takes us past waterfalls and high above the immense forest below, the scenery is like something out of a movie it really is beautiful. We arrive at what i think is the central bus station and ask "punto finale petropolis centro" thank god the young guy spoke English , and offered to take us on another local bus which cost us £1 instead of £20 in a taxi.
    We arrive at the hostel and yet again i am really pleased. This is quite a big hostel and they speak pretty fluent English although I really want to try and practice the Portuguese as you have a habit of being Lazy when you can out here.
    We are informed that there is a beer festival on tonight , so after a quick shower and change we head down to the beer festival accompanied by a brazilian guy from the hostel. There are quite a lot of people around and we join the queue to get a beer , only after 20 mins to be told that we have to purchase tokens as they don't take any cash on the stalls.
    The festival has live music and the vibe down here is brilliant, the band here are playing all Beatles songs and after a little gentle persuasion Mark dances with me as we jive to music from home the crowd are shocked even though we can't dance they have never seen dancing like this !!!
    The band finish and we head back to the hostel, this time up the hill , all this travelling takes its toll after a while and i crash out on the bed fully clothed.
    Read more