Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

    February 3, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After still aching from the climb yesterday I agree with Mark to go and visit the waterfalls which are high up in the mountains at the National park. We catch a bus at the top off the hill and head for the bus exchange. Here we have to catch another bus down and up a very narrow lane , yet again the bus driver drives like a lunatic ( I think this must be one of the prerequsites)and thank god there are not many other cars on the road as he weves his way up the mountain like Keanu Reeves in speed . We are droppped off and havee to climb a lane to the entrance of the park. A car stops as we just start and I dont have a clue what the guys are saying, but somehow manage to blag us a lift. The trek is all up hill obviously but we start to make our accent and climb through the vines and trees up a very narrow branched path with a map that is bearly readable . We arrive at the first "pool" which is beautiful and there are people bathing in it , but a lot of young noisy kids so we agree to head a little further up.
    The mosquitos are out in force here and we fight our way through the brambles taking time out in the small and few places of shade drinking plenty of water. Maybe doing this in flip flops was a bad idea and as we climb higher i must stub my toes 20 times or more, but as I have said before when you put the effort in the rewards are endless. The beauty of these waterfalls is immense and this place is filled with lots of wildlife, huge butterflys, toucans and even crocodiles(only joking). After 3 hours of trekking we agree that enough has been seen and the thought of climbing further just didnt appeal. As we headed back down we decided to take a different route and this was littered with various other waterfalls and pools . There is an option to camp here and if we had more time we probably would have done this , but we have carnival to head too tomorrow so need a good nights rest.
    Read more