Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 813

    Finnish Traditions

    February 18, 2018 in Finland ⋅ 🌙 -18 °C

    We wake at 8 and I’ve slept well even if it’s not been for long. Ida’s sister is on her way to pick us up to drive to the chalet where we will spend the next few days. Ada and Elma (Ada’s 18 month old daughter) arrive shortly followed by Tina (Ida’s mum) and we all enjoy a breakfast together followed by me having a little browse around the outside of the House. There is only a small community here and the nearest shops are a car ride away together with the only pub for miles. For breakfast I eat a rice pastry with a dressing of eggs and butter which tastes very similar to egg mayonnaise but nicer. Belly’s full and a three hour drive ahead we set off. It’s crazy how a smidging of snow brings the uk to a standstill and even though the roads are well gritted they still seem treachorous to me. The whole journey consists of snow and trees which I suppose is pretty understandable as Finland has 80% coverage with forest. The snow clings to the trees making for the most adorable views. We stop halfway for a coffee but it’s not quite a Costa. The coffee here is traditionally strong but it’s warm and that’s what is important. I pay a visit to the ladies and have soon come to realise that it’s hard work getting dressed and undressed. It’s so cold outside but whenever you go into a place it’s so warm you have to strip off. After refreshments and redressing were back in the car for the remainder of the journey. The cars here have plugs a bit like hybrid cars but the plug here keeps the engine warm so it’s easy to start.
    After more trees and snow we arrive in kuusamo and at Ida’s dads cabin. Jonathan Ada’s husband is here and as we sit around the dinner table drinking coffee Papa cooks reindeer stew. It’s so good traveling with local people as you get to see the traditional family ways, and even though her dad doesn’t speak English everyone else does so communication is good. The reindeer stew is delicious and as soon as we’ve finished we head up for the most amazing sunset. The colours are so vibrant and the contrast with the snow certainly makes this one of my favourites. After the sun has gone down there is something that they call a blue moment here, it’s not like just the sky turning blue it’s more than that but something that you just have to see.
    Early evening we make our way to moumou’s which is grandma in Finnish and awaiting us is more food. Grandma lives literally at the end of the road and when we arrive all the family are waiting. We eat and drink and I have a traditional coffee with cheese yes cheese. You put the cheese in drink the coffee and then sprinkle the cheese with sugar and eat delicious. After spending a few hours it’s time to get back on the road and head for the final destination via the K supermarket on route for essentials. I love walking round foreign supermarkets and can’t believe they have a pick and mix for pets.
    We arrive at the cabin a short time later and once the fires going finish the evening cooking sausages on forks in the flames followed by marshmallows. What a truly amazing day
    Read more