Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Venice

    May 28, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Had a lovely start to the day, as always, eating breakfast watching the shirtless gondoliers getting ready for the day. Thanks boys. Entertainment over, we headed to Murano to check out their fabulous glass. Here's a tip - don't point out anything you think is mildly pleasant to look at or next minute you will be getting the hard sell to buy pleasant looking vase for $800. Ahhhh, thanks but no thanks.
    Walking back through Venice we could hear music so followed it to a church and popped in to hear a recital by the University Choir. They were spinetingling good, and in such a beautiful setting. It was truly magical. This is what we loved about Venice - all the unexpected surprises.
    Went on a gondola ride with drunk Graham. Yay. I'll do a separate post on that. Ride over we headed for dinner and more drinks, then back to St Marks Square to listen to the bands playing again (Graham is now drinking take aways). Met a lovely mother/daughter from the States who were trying to shazam a song so I had to step in to help out (sadly I knew the Barry Manilow song) so we spent the evening with them going from band to band playing guess that tune, with me having to remind Graham every two minutes to use his inside voice so people could hear the band. You do meet fabulous people on your travels.
    As the tide was coming in the square was starting to fill with water and everyone is tiptoeing around the water, except drunk Graham who wades on through in his RM Williams boots as if he were in gumboots.
    Read more